Winter is almost upon us, and with the cold weather comes the flu, runny noses, hacking coughs, etc …. You get the point, right? However, there are ways to stay healthy in the cold months and here are seven ways we found that we think can make a difference in your health this winter.
What you can Do …
- Drink more water – During the winter months you might not feel as thirsty due to the temperatures. However, it is extremely important to stay hydrated. “Allowing your body to become dehydrated can leave you more vulnerable to getting sick,” says Wendy Wells, N.M.D., a naturopathic physician in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Change your toothbrush – If you do get a nasty cold or flu, make sure you throw away your old toothbrush and get a new one. Germs can actually hide in a toothbrush. And no one wants to be sick all over again.
- Get your flu shot – “An influenza vaccination can reduce the risk of flu illness by 50 to 60% in the general population and can decrease the severity and side effects if you get sick. So roll up your sleeve—the government says that this year there will be plenty to go around; the feds recommend flu shots for everyone ages 6 months and older,” according to an article in Prevention.
- Use hand sanitizer – During the winter months it might be a good idea to keep sanitizer in your car, in your purse and in your home. The more you clean your hands, the less likely you are to pick up a germ from an object.
- Stay fit – This could mean everything from shoveling snow to walking the dog, but keep active in the winter months. Your body is counting on you!
- Relax – Our immune system does not function well when we are stressed out, so relax and don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Take a daily multi-vitamin – Prevention suggest looking for one with “100% of the recommended daily values of vitamins A, B6, B12, C, and D. They should also include the minerals chromium, copper, folic acid, selenium, calcium, and zinc. Take your multi during a meal that contains a bit of fat. By doing this you can absorb the nutrients better. A glass of water will help the pill dissolve.
Sign up for Fontis Water Delivery
Drinking enough water is easy when you sign up for Fontis Water home or office delivery. For questions about setting up a new service, call us at 678-494-1981.